Miami surgeon explains the medical benefits of tummy tuck surgery
Pregnancy or extreme weight loss may result in an unwanted abdominal pouch. Although often considered a cosmetic procedure, there are medical benefits of a tummy tuck surgery. Located in Miami, Dr. Nirmal Nathan offers tummy tuck procedures to remove the sagging, stretched skin and excess fat that is causing the unwanted belly bulge.
Tummy tuck surgery
Also known as an abdominoplasty or tummy reduction, a tummy tuck involves the surgical removal of fat and skin from the abdominal area. Weak or separated muscles are also corrected to create a smooth, firm abdominal profile.
Many people desire a flat, toned abdomen. Unfortunately, even the best diet and exercise habits are not enough to achieve this goal. Patients who are at or near their ideal body weights may still have loose skin or a belly bulge. Common causes of an abdominal pouch may include:
- Prior surgery
- Significant weight change
Tummy tuck surgeries are often performed following weight loss or pregnancy. When an individual gains weight, the skin stretches to accommodate the body change. When the same person suddenly loses a significant amount of weight, the skin may not be elastic enough to return to its original form. The result is loose, sagging skin. An abdominoplasty removes the excess fat and skin. The skin is pulled tight and the muscles are repaired. Both men and women are eligible for this surgery.
Medical benefits of a tummy tuck surgery
Although a tummy tuck is often part of a mommy makeover or a cosmetic procedure, it is also beneficial for patients who have undergone extreme weight loss. Even as a cosmetic surgery, an abdominoplasty comes with several medical benefits for patients.
- Improved abdominal tone – After weight loss or multiple pregnancies, the abdominal muscles may be stretched out or swollen. Regular diet and exercise may not help. During a tummy tuck, the weakened muscles are tightened and excess fat is removed. The end result is a flat abdomen.
- Improved posture – When the abdominal muscles are weak, the posture suffers. Tightening the muscles through an abdominoplasty provides support for the spine and an improvement in posture. Patients who experienced back pain prior to surgery may experience relief after a tummy tuck.
- Ventral hernia correction – If the abdominal wall is weak, it is possible for a hernia to form. A ventral hernia develops when the intestine or abdominal tissue pushes through the abdominal wall. Surgery for a ventral hernia correction is similar to an abdominoplasty. The weakened muscles are corrected relieving pressure on the skin. Combining a hernia repair with an abdominoplasty is safe and helps prevent future hernias.
- Reduction in stress urinary incontinence – After childbirth, it is possible to develop stress urinary incontinence. Patients experience urine leakage when they cough, sneeze, exercise, or laugh. A tummy tuck can reduce the problem. Soft tissue near the pelvic area creates a slight bladder obstruction which reduces incontinence.
A tummy tuck brings cosmetic and medical benefits. However, it is not a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise but it can help you achieve the figure you desire. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Nathan in Miami. Call (305) 680-5121.Back to Tummy Tuck Page