A trimmer you from head to toe with liposuction from Miami, FL expert
Your body type – including tendency to develop fat deposits, their size, and their location – is largely a product of genetics and gender, influenced by lifestyle. Liposuction removes fat and contours the body, even in areas that resist weight control. At The Nathan Clinic in Miami, FL, Dr. Nirmal Nathan uses the latest liposuction techniques and instrumentation.
A bit about fat
In our body-conscious culture, fat gets a bad reputation. Some body fat is, however, essential for good health. Fat releases hormones that regulate metabolism, and it stores calories the body can convert to energy when food intake is insufficient. Fortunately, that doesn’t often happen for most of us. However, the result is a build-up of extra pounds and inches.
- Brown fat – Children and naturally lean people tend to have a higher percentage of this type. It aids in keeping the body warm.
- White fat – Generally more plentiful, white fat generates adiponectin, a hormone necessary for liver and muscles to recognize insulin. When there is too much white fat, however, adiponectin production slows down, leading to diabetes and heart disease.
- Visceral fat – This deep layer wraps around internal organs. It plays a significant role in insulin resistance and other health threats.
- Subcutaneous fat – This layer resides directly under skin. Subcutaneous fat is responsible for many appearance concerns, from double chin to muffin top, love handles, and more.
Liposuction is a minimally-invasive surgical technique for removal of subcutaneous fat. It is a true form of “spot reduction,” targeting specific problematic areas.
By the age of puberty, the human body stops producing new fat cells. Weight gain later in life is a result of existing fat cells expanding. Thus, mechanical elimination of adipose tissue with liposuction is a long-term solution. With a healthy lifestyle, the improvement is lasting. If you add pounds or inches after liposuction, it will be more evenly distributed, rather than accumulating in treated (formerly problematic) zones.
The liposuction/liposculpture procedure
Liposuction surgery involves small incisions through which slender tubes called “cannulae” are inserted. A cannula is used to break up and suctioned off fat. You may hear the procedure referred to as “liposculpture” because, with modern methods, treated areas can be re-contoured as well as reduced.
It is important to understand that liposuction is not a cure for obesity, nor is it intended for overall weight loss. The procedure is ideal for the patient at or near healthy weight, with moderate accumulations of fat that do not respond to exercise or dieting. An appropriate candidate is reasonably healthy without medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, or heart disease. Optimal results require good skin elasticity and no existing skin or connective tissue disorders. While most liposuction patients are adults (there is no real maximum age limit), the procedure can be performed safely on younger individuals, as well.
Liposuction can be performed on site at The Nathan Clinic in Miami, FL, without need for an overnight hospital stay. If the liposuctions involves larger volumes or multiple areas, Dr. Nathan will perform the procedure at a surgery center or hospital. These facilities are equipped with the latest technology, giving Dr. Nathan the flexibility of several techniques. He selects the most appropriate depending on the area of treatment, and the amount of fat to be removed.
In the 1960s, European surgeons were experimenting with techniques to excise (cut away) unwanted fat. However, this could only be done in regions with limited blood vessels in fat deposits, to avoid excessing bleeding. Liposuction was pioneered as a less invasive alternative. Early methods used in the 1970s were still rather traumatic, though, and carried high risk of complications.
Today, Dr. Nathan uses much gentler techniques, which typically take only about an hour per treatment area. Due to the minimally invasive nature of liposuction, it is performed with local anesthetic at treatment sites, and light IV sedation to calm the patient. Epidural or general anesthesia is not usually needed. Sutures are inconspicuous, and in some cases not necessary.
With tumescent liposuction, treatment areas are infused with a liquid solution. Its base is saline, a simple salt water compound found in tears and perspiration. The tumescent solution also contains medications that constrict blood vessels, for minimal bleeding; and lidocaine, an anesthetic that numbs the treatment area internally for a more comfortable patient experience. A residual amount of the diluted anesthetic remains in bodily tissues, greatly reducing post-procedure discomfort.
After the tumescent solution is administered, Dr. Nathan uses a cannula to precisely sculpt fat in the layer just beneath skin. This technique encourages the resilient dermis and epidermis to contract over the treated area, while thicker fat in the substructure maintains smooth skin surface, reducing contour irregularities. Tumescent liposuction can also be used to remove larger quantities of fat from deeper layers.
With the ultrasound assisted technique, sound waves are emitted from the tip of the cannula to emulsify fat cells for easier removal. This method is appropriate for deeper fat reduction, to avoid chance of injuring skin. Dr. Nathan published an important and often cited research article on this technique, establishing it as a safer alternative to conventional liposuction. (link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=nathan+n+vaser)
Laser fat removal has become very popular for fat reduction. Tiny fiber optic lasers are inserted with the cannula. They emit light energy in a specific wavelength that disrupts and melts fat cells so they can easily be suctioned off. Laser lipo has the significant added benefit of stimulating collagen production in deep skin layers, resulting in tighter skin over time. This characteristic resolves the long-time concern of post-procedure sagging skin, possible with traditional liposuction.
Benefits of liposuction from Dr. Nathan in Miami, FL . . .
- Nearly any part of the body can be treated. For example: Chin, jowls, neck, upper arms, male breasts, abdomen, flanks, “bra fat” and back fat, hips, inner or outer thighs, buttocks, knees, calves, or ankles.
- A greater amount of fat reduction can be achieved than with noninvasive fat freezing or fat melting technologies.
- Liposuction can enhance the outcome of other cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures. Fat harvested during liposuction may be used to contour lips, jaw line, cheeks, and brow; fill wrinkles; fill out bony backs of hands; and augment the buttocks.
- Downtime is not significant. You may move around after the procedure and shower in two days. Most people return to work within three to five days. Please wear compression garments as instructed, and avoid swimming or heavy lifting for two weeks.
- Most patients are extremely satisfied with liposuction, and for some it encourages improvement in lifestyle habits such as healthy eating and daily activity to maintain results.